Our New Year's resolution to make the healthy choice the easy choice for Minnesotans just got a boost: Governor Mark Dayton has proclaimed January Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Education and Outreach Month.
|Read the full proclamation here: SNAP Education and Outreach Month.|
SNAP helps Minnesotans with low incomes buy food for well-balanced meals. And SNAP Education (SNAP-Ed) helps make the healthy choice the easy choice for those Minnesotans.
How SNAP-Ed Works
University of Minnesota Extension staff brings proven, effective solutions for healthful living that individuals, families, and organizations can use right away. The SNAP-Ed team works at many levels to empower individuals and families to make healthy food and physical activity choices by
- Demonstrating quick, easy, fun ways to prepare great-tasting and healthful meals.
- Strengthening local economies by teaching participants how to shop for healthy foods at area stores and farmers markets.
- Building local capacity by growing farm to school programs.
- Identifying active lifestyle choices for people of all ages where they live, work, and play.
- Helping communities create and sustain environments that support and promote healthy choices.
The goal is to help adults, school-aged youth, preschool-aged youth, and parents make the best food choices to feed their families and promote healthy lifestyles. This not only affects the people who are directly involved in SNAP-Ed, but also results in positive changes for the community.
|Read more about how SNAP-Ed makes a difference on the Family Matters blog.|
Whether it’s reading more about SNAP-Ed on our website, or talking about SNAP-Ed with your friends, family, neighbors, and community members, we rely on our supporters to spread the word. Take action in whatever way works best for you!
- Watch and share Schoolhouse Broc-coli, a 3-minute animated video describing Health and Nutrition's work in Minnesota Schools.
- Make a donation to Cooking Matters® Minnesota or volunteer with the program.
- Partner with us. Fill out this contact form and let us know how we can work together to make a difference.