Beginning January 2017, University of Minnesota Extension Children, Youth & Family Consortium (CYFC) will host free regional events for parents, educators, and professionals who work with families and youth to discuss how to meet the needs of transgender youth.
|Visit Lessons from the Field: Families and Youth to register.|
Transgender youth live throughout Minnesota, in rural and urban communities alike. And in both settings, they encounter challenges of homelessness, poor health and nutrition, abuse, and lack of necessary resources. CYFC educators and staff believe that addressing these issues is critical to improving both the health of transgender youth and the health of communities in which they live.
University of Minnesota Extension is in a unique position to address these issues, thanks to the expertise of CYFC’s Scholar in Residence, Jenifer McGuire, Ph.D., and CYFC’s long history of hosting Lessons from the Field, a theme-based educational series that provides an opportunity for professionals, researchers, clinicians, and community leaders to gather and learn ways research and practice intersect.
Topics covered at these events include the following:
- Challenges that face rural and urban transgender youth and families.
- Definition of terms surrounding transgender issues, including how these terms show up in everyday interactions.
- Standards of practice for professionals who work with transgender youth.
- Stages of development for transgender youth, as well as how the medical system and mental health community care for them.
- How communities can support families and families can support their transgender youth.
- Nutrition and body image for transitioning youth.
- Mental health as a public health issue.
The 2017 Lessons from the Field series will take place in Andover, Bemidji, Minneapolis, Morris, St. Cloud, and Rochester. Registration is required, but attendance is free and open to the public. Lunch will be provided for those attending the full day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. CEUs (continuing education units) are available for social workers. Visit Lessons from the Field: Families and Youth to register for an event near you.