Good things are happening at the Oak Terrace Estates and Parkside mobile home communities in Rochester, MN.
We started with one volunteer instructor who taught classes two times per week. As of June 2016, we have six volunteer instructors and one community leader who became a certified Zumba® instructor. These seven instructors rotate teaching different exercise routines four times per week.
At present, 12 to 18 participants attend each class, with a total of about 40 people on the full roster, not counting the children who occasionally participate. This compares with 25 to 30 people on the roster in 2015.
|Participants pose after a class. Bottom right: SNAP-Ed Educator Milena Nunez Garcia|
As a result of the program, Oak Terrace and Parkside residents:
- Have access to a healthy, social, and fun environment.
- Interact more regularly with their neighbors.
- Feel a sense of belonging and shared identity in their local area.
- Strengthen relations and trust between the different cultures that comprise this community.
- Contribute to a healthy and happier neighborhood for everyone.
- Have increased self-esteem.
- Face fewer barriers to exercise, such as transportation.
- Enjoy exercise in the convenience of their neighborhood.
- Reduce their risk of developing chronic diseases, such as diabetes.
- Have a safe and effectively designed workout that requires no prior exercise knowledge or experience.
- Have access to a consistent exercise schedule.