Anita Herring Harris, Extension Educator — Military Families
The Military Families Learning Network (MFLN) Family Transitions (FT) concentration area team has been hard at work bringing expertise from Minnesota to military service professionals across the nation.
You have 5 minutes to get a cup of coffee and get signed in to our next webinar!— MFLN Transitions (@MFLNFT) February 24, 2016
See you there! #MFtransitions pic.twitter.com/4KiFWtWBuj
In February, the MFLN FT team hosted two webinars focused on parenting issues unique to military families:
- Parenting During Times of Transition Part 1 — Challenges, Opportunities, and Resources for Parents Living with PTSD featured the work of Michelle Sherman, Ph.D., a research associate and teaching specialist with the University of Minnesota’s Department of Family Social Science. Sixty five service professionals working with military service members and families and Extension staff across the nation attended the webinar, and another 111 individuals viewed the archived webinar, totaling 176 total webinar views.
- Parenting During Times of Transition Part 2 — Promoting Effective Parenting During Deployment and Reintegration featured what has been learned from the University’s ADAPT (After Deployment Adaptive Parenting Tools) Project. Abi Gewirtz, Ph.D., director of the Institute for Translational Research in Children’s Mental Health at the University of Minnesota and a professor in the Department of Family Social Science and the Institute of Child Development, served as presenter. Forty individuals participated in the live webinar with another 78 viewing the archived webinar, totaling 118 webinar views.
In addition to these two webinars, the team has published a three-part podcast series about Todd, a lieutenant commander in the United States Navy Nurse Corps, and his wife Peggy, an elementary school teacher.
|Listen to Todd & Peggy Podcast #3|
These podcasts are accompanied by blog posts written by Minnesota’s Family Development staff members:
- Mixed Emotions, by Ellie McCann, Extension Educator — Family Resiliency
- Resilience, by Sara Croymans — Family Resiliency
- The Last Transition… or Not, by Karen Shirer, Associate Dean
For more about the MFLN Family Transitions concentration area, check out the Family Transitions blog. We on the team also invite you to follow us on social media: