Jeanne Laqua, Office/Administrative Services Supervisor
Here are six facts about the Southwest Region:
- Twenty counties comprise this region — more than any other region in the state.
- The Southwest Region has the smallest population of any other region in the state. By comparison, the Southeast Region is smaller geographically speaking, but has more than two and half times the population.
- The largest population centers are located in Kandiyohi, Lyon, Nobles, and Martin counties.
- The Southwest Region has a very strong educational foundation, with one in every 10 people (10.5 percent) having associate's degrees and just under one-fifth (17.6 percent) of the region's adult population holding bachelor's degrees or higher.
- Healthcare and manufacturing provide more than one-third of the employment in Southwest Minnesota, with most employment sectors projected to experience job growth by 2020.
- Southwest Minnesota consistently has the lowest unemployment rate in the state.
The Southwest Region is home to four Extension Regional Offices: Morris, Willmar, Marshall, and Worthington. Family Development is currently represented by 15 staff members in the region:
- 2 Health and Nutrition Extension educators
- 1 Family Resiliency Extension educator
- 1 Family Resiliency local program educator
- 1 SNAP-Ed regional coordinator
- 10 SNAP-Ed educators
Source: Southwest Minnesota Private Industry Council. (2012). Regional profile, reports, & program plans.