Five Seasonal Food Strategies
- Late summer: Cucumbers, green beans, sweet corn, tomatoes, and summer squash; plus a wide variety of other garden produce.
- Fall: Potatoes, cabbage, apples, squash, broccoli, and spinach.
- Through December: Potatoes, cabbage, apples, squash, carrots, onions, garlic
- Through January: Potatoes, squash, carrots, garlic, and onions.
- Through March: Potatoes, carrots, garlic, and onions
- Late winter or early spring: Salad greens are the most likely crop available from high tunnels or greenhouses.
- Through October: Tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Meat and dairy: Meats such as bison and dairy products such as cheese are typically available year-round.
- Non-perishable items: Dry beans, whole grains, wild rice, and honey may be grown or harvested at certain times of year, but they are easy to store, with no loss of quality, for year-round availability.